Standards and Interoperability 15 % Due Week 5
1. What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of having standardized terminology the within electronic health records for the institution (e.g., data collection, monetary reimbursement etc.) ?
2. Another way of looking at standards is from the practice setting. What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of having standardized terminology the within electronic health records in relation to patient care (e.g., sharing PHI, access to data in a timely manner, continuity of care etc.) ?
3. What are some of the most significant challenges of having a nationally interoperable electronic health record in the U.S.?
4. How do the concepts introduced this week relate to your day-to-day work environment?
5. If you were placed on an interdisciplinary team tasked with developing standards for documentation, what are some of the key concepts that should be included in these standards for our profession? Why?
Be sure to include:
Clear introduction to your selected topic
Explain concepts of choice
Discuss elements asked in each topic – ex. advantages/disadvantages/challenges/benefits/limitations
Explain the impact of the concepts discussed this week to your practice environment.
Select two of the questions. Submit a well-written scholarly paper with a minimum of 1000 words, using APA format. No abstract is needed.