This assessment will set the scene for your work in the assessments to come. It will also help you to demonstrate achievement of the subject learning outcomes on communicating specialised industrial relations information to a variety of audiences, and the outcome centred on peer engagement.
Top Juice is a real company operating in Sydney and other Eastern Australia sites (http://www.topjuice.com.au/). The company uses a franchise model, as well as operating company owned stores. Visa holders make up a significant proportion of the workforce. You are asked to prepare a presentation to the management team at Top Juice on the employment of visa holders in its Australian outlets. [Please do not contact the company when preparing this assessment.]
In the context of your target audience, your task in Assessment 1 has two parts.
Part A (2 x powerpoint slides) (6 marks)
Prepare an infographic that depicts the following:
– The rights of s457 visa holders in the Australian IR system
– The rights of student visa holders in the Australian IR system. (References required at the foot of slide 2.)
Part B (Powerpoint presentation of up to 8 slides, well presented (see below for further explanation) (14 marks)
Discuss the current debate relating to the engagement of visa holders in Australia, in context of the narrative on ‘jobs for Australians’. Questions to address here include, but are not limited to, the following:
– How does the nature of the employment relationship, as explained in Topic 1, apply to visa holders; what are the limitations, if any, of the duality between market and employment relationship when applied to visa holders (References not essential.);
– Who are the stakeholders in rule-making in the case of visa holders; what is the nature of the rules that apply to visa holders as employees (References not essential.);
– How does employment relations theory and values frameworks help us to make sense of the current debate surrounding the employment of visa holders in Australia. (References needed.)
Completion of the assessment task involves two steps:
(i) Discussion of work-in-progress on your presentation to your peers, as arranged by your lecturer;
(ii) Upload of a powerpoint presentation to Turnitin by the due date shown above.
You are asked to prepare the assessment individually, and present your work-in-progress prior to final submission by the due date shown above. A final powerpoint presentation must upload to Turnitin by the due date.
An example of a simple infographic is provided for you on the interact2 site. This is not a mandatory format. Be creative to the best of your ability.