Developing Professional Practice Unit No/s 5DVP Level 5 Credit value 4 Assessment method CPD Self development Expiry date September 2019 Learning outcomes:
1. Understand what is required to be an effective and efficient HR professional.
2. Be able to perform efficiently and effectively as an HR professional.
3. Be able to apply CPD techniques to construct, implement and review a personal development plan. Assessment brief/activity Activity 1 As an HR professional you will be expected to perform efficiently and effectively. Write a report (approximately 2600 words) which illustrates to your manager the nature of the work that you are involved in as an HR Professional.
Ensure that you cover the following:
1. The role and contribution of the HR professional with reference to the CIPDs Profession Map, giving at least one example of the knowledge, skills and behaviours required by an HR professional within your organisation. Evaluate why you consider these to be important.
2. Provide examples of where you have used at least two project management techniques within an HR context.
3. Provide examples of where you have used at least two problem solving techniques within an HR context.
4. Describe the elements of group dynamics that can arise within at least two teams and/or departments within your organisation and evaluate the impact on a HR department.
5. Evaluate at least three conflict resolution methods that could be used to resolve issues created by group dynamics and the effectiveness of their application within your organisation.
6. Provide examples of where you have used a range of methods for influencing, persuading and negotiating with others. Activity 2 Using the CIPD Profession Map available at undertake a self-assessment of your current knowledge, skills and behaviours in your practitioner role including the two core areas of the Profession Map. From this identify your continuing professional development (CPD) needs. From the self-assessment, identify areas you want to develop and devise your own CPD plan. Identify CPD activities to best address your development objectives and evaluate these particular activities as to why and how they best meet your needs. (Note: If required, CPD plan and record templates for students are available at During the period of your studies, reflect on your performance against your CPD plan. As you reflect, identify if there are any further development needs and update your plan accordingly. You will be required to submit your updated CPD plan and CPD record as part of your final assessment. Assessment Criteria 1.1 2.1 2.2 1.2 1.2 2.3 3.1 3.2 3.3 Evidence to be produced/required Activity 1: A report of approximately 2600 words You should relate academic concepts, theories and professional practice to the task set in a critical and informed way, and with reference to key texts, articles and other publications and by using practitioner and professional examples for illustration. All reference sources should be acknowledged correctly and a bibliography provided where appropriate (these should be excluded from the word count). Activity 2: CIPD Profession Map self-assessment. From this a CPD plan should be submitted and at the end of the course a CPD record should be submitted. (Not included in the word count)