EC4400: Sustainability Is Economic Growth Sustainable: Environmental And Natural Resource Economics Assignment, UCC, Ireland
The assignment topics are as follows:
- Sustainability Is economic growth sustainable?
- Trade and the environment (Ivory) Should the trade in Ivory be abolished?
- Energy security and renewable energy Energy security has become an important concern in 2022. Critically evaluate the role of renewable energy as a solution to the energy crisis using a country of your choice
- Renewable resources and forest policy: Amazon fires Recent fires in the Amazon have caused significant damage to forest ecosystems. What general statements can be made about the proximate and fundamental causes driving the over-exploitation of Brazil’s forests? Critically reflect on what policies could be used to remedy the problem.
- Renewable resources and open access Evaluate the implications for the rate of exploitation of a renewable resource (in a country of your choice) under circumstances of “open access”.
- Environmental policy and pollution control: Developing countries Evaluate the potential advantages of increasing the use of economic instruments for pollution control in developing countries? Markets and institutions may work differently in developing countries compared with developed nations. Discuss the adaptation of market-based instruments to suit the needs of a developing country using a country case study of your choice.
- Environmental policy and pollution control: Marine plastics Assessment Submission Date Student chooses preferred topic (by email) 09/09/22 Student submits abstract (hard copy at end of class) 13/09/22 Student given feedback on abstract by email 23/09/22 Pollution from plastic waste has become an increasing problem for marine ecosystems. In a country of your choice, critically evaluate recent economic policies to address the problem.
- Energy transition: solar Critically evaluate the role of solar energy in the low-carbon energy transition. As part of your answer assess the economic viability of solar energy using a country case study of your choice.
- Environmental policy and climate change: EU ETS Critically evaluate the EU’s Emission Trading System (EU ETS) as a means of controlling greenhouse gas emissions.
- Environmental policy and risk and uncertainty Should the safe minimum standards approach be applied to setting standards for biodiversity conservation? If so, using a case study of your choice explain how this should be done.
- Renewable Energy – wind Are onshore wind farms a viable economic alternative to fossil fuels in Ireland: Discuss
- Wildlife management and biodiversity conservation Critically evaluate the impact of community-based approaches to wildlife management or biodiversity conservation (Campfire, Admade etc) using a country case of your choice. What lessons can be drawn to make these programs effective?
- Ecosystem goods and Services Payment for ecosystem services plays an important role in protecting the environment.
- Environmental regime analysis Critically evaluate the effectiveness of the Montreal Protocol as a means of regulating substances that deplete the ozone layer.
- Resource extraction and wetlands policy Should Ireland’s bogs and wetlands be harvested for peat?
- Water management and governance Critically evaluate the use fees or water pricing policies in relation to water consumption using a case study of your choice. As part of this, make some reference to the political difficulties of introducing charges on the use of environmental goods and services.
- Covid 19 and the UN sustainable development goals (SDGs) Critically evaluate the threat posed by Covid 19 on the UN sustainable development goals (SDGs) for developing countries. Using a case study of your choice, pay particular attention to UN goals 7 (affordable and clean energy) and 13 (climate action).
CAPE5330: You have completed RTD experiments on each of the reactors: Advanced Reaction Engineering Coursework, UOL, UK
November 28, 2022
A critical argument of relevant supply chain models/concepts from multiple sources, (supported by references) have to underpin discussion.
November 28, 2022