After reviewing the rationale, purpose, and function of goals, use these examples to practice engaging with a client to develop goals. Choose 4 of the situations below and develop a response to each of the client statements. Then, summarize what you have learned from your readings about developing goals, and share one question you still have about goal development.
1. What do you know about my situation? You are so young and it`s hard for me to see how you can help me.
2. The court will take my children no matter what I do, so how is having a goal going to help?
3. You need to be clear; I don`t want to be here. I`m only doing this stuff with you because the judge said that I had to come.
4. My family didn`t want me to come see you again. They worry that you will put too many American ideas in my head.
5. Don`t waste our time. She got herself pregnant. You want her father and me to be involved because you must think that it is okay to be unmarried and pregnant.
6. Well, you`re wrong! How will having a goal help me? I`ve never been able to accomplish anything before.